“The things you share are things that make you look good, things which you are happy to tie into your identity.”
Hilary Mason, chief data scientist, Bitly
Social media marketing
Social Media Marketing – is when you use Social Media Platforms to promote your product, service or company. As most of these social media platforms have their own built-in data analytics tools, they can provide you with more knowledge, more information about your audience. Your message can be strictly set to the target audience. Maybe one of the most important things here – is to create a promotion in the way, when people would like to be associated with your service. You should appeal to the “self-ideal” of the person!
The core thing of social marketing – is to engage people! There is no other way to succeed there!
First of all we should define the term “Social Engagement”. It was first used by Avison, McLeod and Pescosolido (2007). They determine it like: “the extent to which an individual participates in a broad range of social roles and relationships. Basing on their explanation – social engagement is related to participation in collective activities, which reinforces social capital and social norms.
Let’s have a look on the key elements of social engagement include:
- activity (doing something),
- interaction (at least two people need to be involved in this activity),
- social exchange (the activity involves giving or receiving something from others),
- lack of compulsion (there is no outside force forcing an individual to engage in the activity).
A common metric of social engagement is the quantifiable volume of activity.
Social globality or global sociality
Some statistic from Google and Facebook
- One million link sharing through Facebook every 20 minutes.
- Every hour 4.5 million people receive an invitation to an event through Facebook.
- Every minute, 100,000 people become friends in Facebook.
- Half of all users spend one to five hours a week for social networking.
- Every second 8 people on the planet become a part of any of the existing social networks.
- The number Google search queries over 40,000 every second.
- Facebook is the third largest country in the world, after China and India, with a population near 1.8 billion.
- The average of chances 50%/50%, that the person under the age of thirty is a part of social network.
- Every user login to his account over 2 times a day.
- Each user of social networks has over 195 people in his friend list.
- The fastest growing segment of social networks users – women 55-65 years old.
- The number of Ashton Kutchers and Britney Spears followers is comparable with a population of Ireland, Norway or Panama.
- There are over 200,000,000 blogs in the Internet.
- 80% of people rely on the opinion of their online friends more than their real friends.
- Over 90% born in new century, have accounts in different social networks….
Other interesting facts you can find here, on InternetLiveStats
So, let’s think about why people join Social Networks?
Most of respondents say, that they use social networks to stay in touch with their friends and relatives. Really, nowadays, as we are living in the “world without borders” and many people can chose where to study, to work, to live social networks provide a great opportunity for communication. 20 years ago we could not even imagine, that someday we will have the chance to share photos, music, emotions and thoughts with one we love EVERY DAY, or even every hour!
Also people use social networks to stay up-to-date with news and events
Some just want to fill up spare time
People enjoy the opportunity to express their opinion out-loud
Lately we can see, that the great popularity has so-called “viral” content. People are searching and sharing for funny, entertainment, light content
Finaly, some people just use social platforms, because their friends do
If you want to dive into the subject and to find out some interesting facts about the most popular social platform of the world – Facebook read our article: Facebook tips for post writing and publishing